Friday, September 16, 2011

ELF $15 Mini Haul: Teal Shimmer Eyeliner and Other Things

So I'm on my second-to-last ELF order. (Hopefully!  I can't afford to spend anymore on bargains!)  From all the raves, I especially couldn't wait to try out the Studio Mineral Face Primer and the Essential Shimmer Eyeliners.


1. Studio Glossy Gloss in Wild Watermelon
2. Studio Glitter Gloss in Twinkle Pink
3. Studio Mineral Face Primer
4. Studio Stipple Brush
5. Essential Shimmer Eyeliners: Plum Passion, Grassy Green, Boldly Bronze, Twinkle Teal

Here are some swatches:


From left to right: Glossy Gloss in Wild Watermelon, Glitter Gloss in Twinkle Pink, Shimmer Eyeliners in Plum Passion, Grassy Green, Boldly Bronze, and Twinkle Teal.

I got a chance to use the primer today to prep my face before applying makeup.


It's a clear, gel-like formula out of the bottle.  One small pump was enough to cover my entire face.  The texture is AMAZING!  My skin felt softer and smoother than silk.  My tinted moisturizer also applied very fluidly and smoothly.  It's only been day one, but so far so good.  Hope this stuff doesn't make me break out!

Since teal is one of my favorite colors in the entire world, I decided to go for a simple, teal-winged look today.  I accented the liner using my Studio Endless Eyes Pro Eyeshadow palette.  Here are the colors I used:


1. matte light blush base
2. matte pale stone highlight
3. shimmery teal

To start, I primed my eyelids with eyeshadow primer, applied the light blush shade as a base, and highlighted my brow arch with the pale stone color:

Whoa, went a little overboard with the dark brows...lol!

Next, Essential Shimmer Eyeliner Pencil in Twinkle Teal:

Built-in sharpener in the cap, how convenient!



I lined my top and bottom lid lines.  Since the eyeliner is the main attraction today, I made sure to create a bold wing on the top lid line.


Nice!  However, as a longtime user of gel/cream and liquid liners, I'm a little mistrustful of pencil liners.  I have oily lids and pencil liner seldom stays put.  To ensure longevity, I'm going to set my teal eyeliner with some teal eyeshadow.  Luckily, there's a shimmery teal shade in my Endless Eyes palette that's a perfect match for Twinkle Teal!  I layer it right over my liner using a small smudge brush.


Wow!  The addition of teal shadow really makes the color POP!  I finish by curling my lashes and applying mascara:


I love the way this looks!  The teal shade is a little softer than I had anticipated, but it's still very pretty.  I know that there were a number of reviewers that compared the Essential Shimmer Eyeliners to Urban Decay's 24/7 Glide On Eyeliner pencils, but to be honest, they just aren't as soft and smooth.  Don't get me wrong.  They're phenomenal for $1 eyeliners!  They do tug at the skin a bit though.  Still, I've had charcoal-dry eyeliners for more expensive, so you do get more for your money with these eyeliners!

The next product I'm going to try out is my new Studio Glitter Gloss in Twinkle Pink.  Hmm...twinkle twinkle...I'm noticing a pattern here.  I guess I really like sparkly! :D

I line, fill, and blend my lips with Studio Lip Liner and Blending Brush in Nude Pink:


Then I apply gloss:


This is a gorgeous, sheer, sparkly pink-pink.  Theres a light, vanilla cream soda fragrance that's just heavenly.  They very much resemble MAC's Dazzleglass as far as sheer color, sparkle, and scent.  The only difference is that they're less sticky, which can be a good thing! :)  I feel so suckered for buying 2 Dazzleglasses for $36 when I could have gotten the Glitter Glosses in EVERY color for $6 less.  Poo. :(

Overall look:


Additional Makeup Details:

Face:
1. ELF Studio Mineral Face Primer
2. Covergirl CG Smoothers Aqua Tinted Moisturizer in Light to Medium
3. ELF Studio Complete Coverage Concealer in Light
4. L'Oreal True Match Pressed Powder in N4
5. ELF Studio Blush in Fuchsia Fusion

Brows:
1. Prestige Eyeliner Pencil in Dark Brown
2. Shiseido Eyebrow and Eyeliner Compact in Deep Brown

Eyes:
1. Urban Decay Primer Potion in Eden
2. ELF Studio Endless Eyes Pro Eyeshadow Palette
3. ELF Essential Shimmer Eyeliner Pencil in Twinkle Teal

Lips:
1. ELF Studio Lip Lock Pencil
2. ELF Studio Lip Liner and Blending Brush in Nude Pink
3. ELF Studio Glitter Gloss in Twinkle Pink

*Update* This is my eye makeup 12 hours later:


So I went out for dinner and drinks tonight and applied a pair of Daiso falsh eyelashes before taking off. Not bad!  The look really lasted.  I think this eyeliner is terrific, but I think the key was to set it with eyeshadow.  I love colored eyeliner!  It's such a bold, easy look that just takes minutes.  I mean, I love elaborate eyeshadow looks, but this will shave at least 15 minutes off your makeup routine and it looks great too!  Hope y'all found this helpful.  TGIF!

Hugs,
Cat

p.s. Sorry I didn't link every product.  It's getting late tonight and I still have to finish date night with hubby.  I know you'll all understand! :)

2 comments:

  1. i always wanted to try those eyeshadow pencils, but wasnt sure since elfs $1 line is always a hit or miss, but i wanna get them now! can u make swatches of them? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lacey! I DID make swatches, but totally forgot to put them up, duh! Lol. Anyways, I've got them up now. They're the best $1 eyeliners I've ever bought. I'm definitely going to get the rest of the colors now!

    ReplyDelete